1. unpleasantly stern
- wild and harsh country full of hot sand and cactus
2. unpleasantly rough or jarring to the senses
- the harsh cry of a blue jay
- harsh cognac
- the harsh white light makes you screw up your eyes
Similar word(s): unpleasant
3. of textures that are rough to the touch or substances consisting of relatively large particles
4. unkind or cruel or uncivil
- had harsh words
- a harsh and unlovable old tyrant
- a harsh penalty
Similar word(s): heavy
6. sharply disagreeable; rigorous
- the harsh facts of court delays
1. (intransitive, slang) To negatively criticize.
- Quit harshing me already, I said that I was sorry!
2. (transitive, slang) to put a damper on (a mood).
- Dude, you're harshing my buzz.