1. only a very short time before
- we hardly knew them
2. almost not
- he hardly ever goes fishing
- I can hardly hear what she is saying
3. slowly and with difficulty
- he was so dizzy he could hardly stand up straight
Similar word(s): hard
Sentences with hardly as an adverb:
- I can't really deal hardly with people.
- they hardly ever watch television; I hardly think they'll come in this bad weather; it's hardly possible he could lose the election.
1. Not really.
- I think the Beatles are a really overrated band. ― Hardly!