1. consisting of one of two equivalent parts in value or quantity
- a half chicken
- lasted a half hour
Similar word(s): fractional
- gave me a half smile
- he did only a half job
3. (of siblings) related through one parent only
- a half brother
- half sister
Sentences with half as an adjective:
- a half bushel; a half hour; a half dollar; a half view
- a half dream; half knowledge
- A half brother or half sister
- A half uncle or half aunt or half cousin
- We went to bed at half ten.
1. partially or to the extent of a half
- he was half hidden by the bushes
Sentences with half as an adverb:
- half-colored; half done; half-hearted; half persuaded; half conscious
1. one of two equal parts of a divisible whole
- half a loaf
- half an hour
- a century and one half
Definition categories: quantity
2. one of two divisions into which some games or performances are divided: the two divisions are separated by an interval
Sentences with half as a noun:
- You don't know the half of it.
- Three-quarters minus a quarter is a half.
1. (Britain, Ireland) a half-hour after, thirty minutes after (used with the number of the hour)
- half one — half past one, 1:30
1. (transitive, obsolete) To halve.