1. a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures (as on the human head); helps to prevent heat loss
- he combed his hair
- each hair consists of layers of dead keratinized cells
Definition categories: body
2. a very small distance or space
- they escaped by a hair's-breadth
Definition categories: quantity
3. filamentous hairlike growth on a plant
4. any of the cylindrical filaments characteristically growing from the epidermis of a mammal
- there is a hair in my soup
Similar word(s): pilus
5. cloth woven from horsehair or camelhair; used for upholstery or stiffening in garments
Similar word(s): haircloth
6. a filamentous projection or process on an organism
Sentences with hair as a noun:
- In the western world, women usually have long hair while men usually have short hair.
- Internal hairs occur in the flower stalk of the yellow frog lily (Nuphar).
- Just a little louder please—turn that knob a hair to the right.