1. (Islam) a tradition based on reports of the sayings and activities of Muhammad and his companions
2. (Islam) the way of life prescribed as normative for Muslims on the basis of the teachings and practices of Muhammad and interpretations of the Koran
Sentences with hadith as a noun:
- In addition to the Quran, many Muslims also look to the hadiths for moral and spiritual guidance in their daily lives.
- There are four main Shia books of hadith and six main Sunni books of hadith.
- The Hadith are believed to be the words of the Prophet, memorized by his followers and written down in the first or second centuries after the Hegira.
- The Hadith is the written record of what Muhammad said and did in his everyday life.