1. not relenting; having no pity; not being or becoming lenient, mild, gentle, or merciful; unyielding.
- grim determination
- grim necessity
2. shockingly repellent; inspiring horror
- the grim aftermath of the bombing
- the grim task of burying the victims
3. harshly ironic or sinister
- a grim joke
- grim laughter
4. harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance
- a grim man loving duty more than humanity
- undoubtedly the grimmest part of him was his iron claw
5. filled with melancholy and despondency
- took a grim view of the economy
6. causing depression
- grim rainy weather
Sentences with grim as an adjective:
- Life was grim in many northern industrial towns.
- His grim determination enabled him to win.
- A grim castle overshadowed the village.
- Wanna see the dead rat I found in my fridge? —Mate, that is grim!