1. intense sorrow caused by loss of a loved one (especially by death)
- Surely, he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows. -Isaiah 53:4
2. something that causes great unhappiness
- her death was a great grief to John
Similar word(s): sorrow
Definition categories: thought
Sentences with grief as a noun:
- She was worn out from so much grief.
- The betrayal caused Jeff grief.
1. (online gaming) To deliberately harass and annoy or cause grief to other players of a game in order to interfere with their enjoyment of it; especially, to do this as one’s primary activity in the game. [from late 20th Century]