1. (Christian theology) a state of sanctification by God; the state of one who is under such divine influence
- the conception of grace developed alongside the conception of sin
- it was debated whether saving grace could be obtained outside the membership of the church
- the Virgin lived in a state of grace
Definition categories: state
2. elegance and beauty of movement or expression
- a beautiful figure which she used in subtle movements of unparalleled grace
Similar word(s): gracility
3. a sense of good behavior and consideration for others
- a place where the company of others must be accepted with good grace
Similar word(s): seemliness
4. a disposition to kindness and compassion
- the victor's grace in treating the vanquished
Similar word(s): goodwill
Definition categories: attribute
5. a period of time past the deadline for fulfilling an obligation during which a penalty that would be imposed for being late is waived, especially an extended period granted as a special favor
- The payment had originally been due on April 1 but we had a grace period which expired in June.
6. (Greek mythology) one of three sisters who were the givers of beauty and charm; a favorite subject for sculptors
Definition categories: person
7. a short prayer of thanks before a meal
- their youngest son said grace
8. (Christian theology) the free and unmerited favor or beneficence of God
- God's grace is manifested in the salvation of sinners
- there but for the grace of God go I
Sentences with grace as a noun:
- The dancer moved with grace and strength.
- The Princess brought grace to an otherwise dull and boring party.
- I'm so grateful to God for the grace that He has given me.
- It has become less common to say grace before having dinner.
- The repayment of the loan starts after a three-year grace (period).
1. make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.
2. be beautiful to look at
Sentences with grace as a verb:
- He graced the room with his presence.
- He graced the room by simply being there.
- His portrait graced a landing on the stairway.