1. a mechanical device for gripping an object
Definition categories: man–made
2. the act of catching an object with the hands
- he made a grab for the ball before it landed
1. take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of
- Grab the elevator door!
Similar word(s): catch
2. get hold of or seize quickly and easily
Similar word(s): snaffle
3. make a grasping or snatching motion with the hand
- The passenger grabbed for the oxygen mask
4. obtain illegally or unscrupulously
- Grab power
5. take or grasp suddenly
- She grabbed the child's hand and ran out of the room
6. capture the attention or imagination of
- This story will grab you
Similar word(s): seize
Sentences with grab as a verb:
- I grabbed her hand to pull her back from the cliff edge.
- The suspect suddenly broke free and grabbed at the policeman's gun.
- We'll just grab a sandwich and then we'll be on our way.
- Is there time to grab a coffee?