1. bring into conformity with rules or principles or usage; impose regulations
2. direct or strongly influence the behavior of
- His belief in God governs his conduct
3. exercise authority over; as of nations
- Who is governing the country now?
Similar word(s): rule
4. require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood
- most transitive verbs govern the accusative case in German
Sentences with govern as a verb:
- Govern yourselves like civilized people.
- a student who could not govern his impulses.
- Chance usually governs the outcome of the game.
- a valve that governs fuel intake.