1. a state of partial or total darkness
- he struck a match to dispel the gloom
Similar word(s): somberness
2. a feeling of melancholy apprehension
3. an atmosphere of depression and melancholy
- gloom pervaded the office
Sentences with gloom as a noun:
- the gloom of a forest, or of midnight
1. (intransitive) To be dark or gloomy.
2. (intransitive) to look or feel sad, sullen or despondent.
3. (transitive) To render gloomy or dark; to obscure; to darken.
4. (transitive) To fill with gloom; to make sad, dismal, or sullen.
5. To shine or appear obscurely or imperfectly; to glimmer.