1. motion of hands or body to emphasize or help to express a thought or feeling
2. the use of movements (especially of the hands) to communicate familiar or prearranged signals
Similar word(s): motion
Definition categories: communication
3. something done as an indication of intention
- a political gesture
- a gesture of defiance
Sentences with gesture as a noun:
- The middle-finger gesture is really a nonverbal swear.
- This Web browser can be controlled with mouse gestures.
- We took flowers as a gesture of sympathy.
1. show, express or direct through movement
- He gestured his desire to leave
Sentences with gesture as a verb:
- My dad said to never gesture with my hands when I talk.
- Never gesture at someone with a middle finger.
- He gestured his disgust.