1. a grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives; in some languages it is quite arbitrary but in Indo-European languages it is usually based on sex or animateness
Definition categories: communication
2. the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles
Definition categories: attribute
Sentences with gender as a noun:
- the trait is found in both genders
- The effect of the medication is dependent upon age, gender, and other factors.
1. (sociology) To assign a gender to (a person); to perceive as having a gender; to address using terms (pronouns, nouns, adjectives...) that express a certain gender.
2. (sociology) To perceive (a thing) as having characteristics associated with a certain gender, or as having been authored by someone of a certain gender.
3. (archaic) To engender.
4. (archaic or obsolete) To breed.