1. the organization of information according to preset specifications (usually for computer processing)
Similar word(s): formatting
2. the general appearance of a publication
Sentences with format as a noun:
- The radio station changed the format of its evening program.
1. set (printed matter) into a specific format
- Format this letter so it can be printed out
Similar word(s): arrange
2. determine the arrangement of (data) for storage and display (in computer science)
3. divide (a disk) into marked sectors so that it may store data
- Please format this disk before entering data!
Sentences with format as a verb:
- I lost weeks of work when I inadvertently formatted my hard drive.