1. in harmony with the spirit of particular persons or occasion
- We have come to dedicate a portion of that field...It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this
2. being precisely fitting and right
1. making or becoming suitable; adjusting to circumstances
2. a small and often standardized accessory to a larger system
3. (usually in the plural) furnishings and equipment (especially for a ship or hotel)
Similar word(s): appointment
Definition categories: man–made, furnishing
4. putting clothes on to see whether they fit
Sentences with fitting as a noun:
- the fittings of a church or study
1. present participle of fit
2. (informal, US, with infinitive) Ready, preparing.
- I'm fitting to go home and sleep.