1. a male parent (also used as a term of address to your father)
- his father was born in Atlanta
Similar word(s): begetter
2. the founder of a family
- keep the faith of our forefathers
3. `Father' is a term of address for priests in some churches (especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Orthodox Catholic Church); `Padre' is frequently used in the military
Similar word(s): padre
4. (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Latin Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
5. a person who holds an important or distinguished position in some organization
- the tennis fathers ruled in her favor
- the city fathers endorsed the proposal
6. God when considered as the first person in the Trinity
- hear our prayers, Heavenly Father
Similar word(s): fatherhood
Definition categories: person
7. a person who founds or establishes some institution
- George Washington is the father of his country
8. the head of an organized crime family
Similar word(s): don
Sentences with father as a noun:
- My father was a strong influence on me.
- My friend Tony just became a father.
- Come, father; you can sit here.
- My brother was a father to me after my parents got divorced.
- The child is father to the man.
- Albert Einstein is the father of modern physics.