1. below acceptable in performance
- received failing grades
Similar word(s): unsatisfactory
1. a flaw or weak point
- he was quick to point out his wife's failings
Similar word(s): weakness
2. failure to reach a minimum required performance
- his failing the course led to his disqualification
Similar word(s): flunk
Sentences with failing as a noun:
- His worst failing is his temper.
1. if the preferred or prior option is not possible
- A large proportion of the females employed in other firms are said to have signified their intention of going on strike, failing a settlement.
1. present participle of fail