1. no longer in existence; lost or especially having died out leaving no living representatives
- an extinct species of fish
- an extinct royal family
- extinct laws and customs
2. (of e.g. volcanos) permanently inactive
- an extinct volcano
Similar word(s): dead
3. being out or having grown cold
- threw his extinct cigarette into the stream
Sentences with extinct as an adjective:
- Poor Edward's cigarillo was already extinct.
- The dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years.
- Most of the volcanos on this island are now extinct.