1. extend in one or more directions
- The dough expands
2. become larger in size or volume or quantity
- his business expanded rapidly
3. make bigger or wider in size, volume, or quantity
- expand the house by adding another wing
4. grow vigorously
5. exaggerate or make bigger
6. add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing
7. expand the influence of
Similar word(s): extend
Sentences with expand as a verb:
- You can expand this compact umbrella to cover a large table.
- A flower expands its leaves.
- Use the binomial theorem to expand
- Many materials expand when heated.
- This compact umbrella expands to cover a large table.
- He's so pedantic, he expands on everything!