1. (obsolete) Entertainment; pleasure.
2. (obsolete) Reception of a guest; welcome.
1. provide entertainment for
2. take into consideration, have in view
- He entertained the notion of moving to South America
3. maintain (a theory, thoughts, or feelings)
- entertain interesting notions
Sentences with entertain as a verb:
- to entertain friends with lively conversation
- The motivational speaker not only instructed but also entertained the audience.
- They enjoy entertaining a lot.
- The committee would like to entertain the idea of reducing the budget figures.
- to entertain a proposal