1. motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work
Definition categories: man–made, motor
2. something used to achieve a purpose
- an engine of change
3. a wheeled vehicle consisting of a self-propelled engine that is used to draw trains along railway tracks
Similar word(s): locomotive
Definition categories: man–made
4. an instrument or machine that is used in warfare, such as a battering ram, catapult, artillery piece, etc.
- medieval engines of war
Definition categories: man–made, instrument
Sentences with engine as a noun:
- a graphics engine; a physics engine
1. (obsolete) To assault with an engine.
2. (dated) To equip with an engine; said especially of steam vessels.
- Vessels are often built by one firm and engined by another.
3. (obsolete) To rack; to torture.