1. capable of resuming original shape after stretching or compression; springy
- an elastic band
- a youthful and elastic walk
Similar word(s): bouncy, live, lively, resilient, springy, chewy, elasticised, elasticized, expandable, expandible, expansible, expansile, fictile, moldable, plastic, flexible, whippy, rubberlike, rubbery, springlike, stretch, stretchable, stretchy, viscoelastic, flexible, flexile
2. able to adjust readily to different conditions
- an elastic clause in a contract
Sentences with elastic as an adjective:
- The rope is somewhat elastic, so expect it to give when you pull on it.
- elastic band
- Demand for entertainment is more elastic than demand for energy.
- elastic spirits; an elastic constitution
1. a narrow band of elastic rubber used to hold things (such as papers) together
Definition categories: man–made, band
2. a fabric made of yarns containing an elastic material
Sentences with elastic as a noun:
- Running shorts use elastic to eliminate the need for a belt.