1. marked by complexity and richness of detail
- an elaborate lace pattern
2. developed or executed with care and in minute detail
- the elaborate register of the inhabitants prevented tax evasion
- the carefully elaborated theme
Sentences with elaborate as an adjective:
- After reading a long, elaborate description, I was impressed but no wiser.
- I stared for hours at the elaborate pattern in the rug.
1. add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing
- She elaborated on the main ideas in her dissertation
2. produce from basic elements or sources; change into a more developed product
- The bee elaborates honey
3. make more complex, intricate, or richer
4. work out in detail
- elaborate a plan
Sentences with elaborate as a verb:
- What do you mean you didn't come home last night? Would you care to elaborate?
- Could you elaborate on the plot for your novel for me?