1. producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect
- an air-cooled motor was more effective than a witch's broomstick for rapid long-distance transportation
- effective teaching methods
- effective steps toward peace
2. able to accomplish a purpose; functioning effectively
- people who will do nothing unless they get something out of it for themselves are often highly effective persons...
- effective personnel
3. works well as a means or remedy
- an effective reprimand
- a lotion that is effective in cases of prickly heat
Similar word(s): efficacious
4. exerting force or influence
- the law is effective immediately
- the law is already in effect (or in force)
5. existing in fact; not theoretical; real
- a decline in the effective demand
- confused increased equipment and expenditure with the quantity of effective work done
6. ready for service
- the fort was held by about 100 effective soldiers
Similar word(s): operational
Sentences with effective as an adjective:
- The pill is an effective method of birth control.
- The president delivered an effective speech!
- How long does it take to make a bunch of civilians an effective military force?
- My effective income after taxes and child support is $500 a month.
- The effective radiated power is determined by multiplying the transmitter power output with the antenna gain.
- The effective voltage of an alternating current is 0.7 times its peak voltage.
- The curfew is effective at midnight.
1. (military) A soldier fit for duty.