1. the activities of educating or instructing; activities that impart knowledge or skill
- he received no formal education
2. knowledge acquired by learning and instruction
- it was clear that he had a very broad education
3. the gradual process of acquiring knowledge
- education is a preparation for life
- a girl's education was less important than a boy's
4. the profession of teaching (especially at a school or college or university)
5. the result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior)
6. the United States federal department that administers all federal programs dealing with education (including federal aid to educational institutions and students); created 1979
Definition categories: group
Sentences with education as a noun:
- A good teacher is essential for a good education.
- He has had a classical education.
- The educations our children receive depend on their economic status.