1. A change to the text of a document.
2. (computing) A change in the text of a file, a website or the code of software.
1. prepare for publication or presentation by correcting, revising, or adapting
- Edit a book on lexical semantics
- she edited the letters of the politician so as to omit the most personal passages
Similar word(s): redact
2. supervise the publication of
- The same family has been editing the influential newspaper for almost 100 years
3. cut and assemble the components of
- edit film
Similar word(s): cut
4. cut or eliminate
- she edited the juiciest scenes
Similar word(s): delete
Sentences with edit as a verb:
- He edits the Bee.
- Wikipedia is an interactive encyclopedia which allows anybody to edit and improve articles.