1. (comparative and superlative of `early') more early than; most early
- a fashion popular in earlier times
- his earlier work reflects the influence of his teacher
- Verdi's earliest and most raucous opera
Sentences with earlier as an adjective:
- I shall be late because I missed the earlier train.
1. earlier in time; previously
- he called me the day before but your call had come even earlier
- her parents had died four years earlier
- I mentioned that problem earlier
Similar word(s): before
2. comparatives of `soon' or `early'
- came earlier than I expected
Similar word(s): sooner
3. before now
Similar word(s): originally
Sentences with earlier as an adverb:
- I shall be late because I didn't start earlier.