1. (especially in botany) Miniature.
- The specimen is a very dwarf form of the plant.
- It is possible to grow the plants as dwarf as one desires.
1. a person who is markedly small
Similar word(s): midget
Definition categories: person
2. a legendary creature resembling a tiny old man; lives in the depths of the earth and guards buried treasure
Similar word(s): gnome
3. a plant or animal that is atypically small
Sentences with dwarf as a noun:
- dwarf tree; dwarf honeysuckle
1. make appear small by comparison
- This year's debt dwarfs that of last year
2. check the growth of
- the lack of sunlight dwarfed these pines
Sentences with dwarf as a verb:
- The newly-built skyscraper dwarfs all older buildings in the downtown skyline.
- Bach dwarfs all other composers.