1. a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens
- the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically
Similar word(s): stop
Definition categories: man–made
2. (anatomy) a muscular partition separating the abdominal and thoracic cavities; functions in respiration
Similar word(s): midriff
3. a contraceptive device consisting of a flexible dome-shaped cup made of rubber or plastic; it is filled with spermicide and fitted over the uterine cervix
Similar word(s): pessary
4. electro-acoustic transducer that vibrates to receive or produce sound waves
1. (optics, photography) To reduce lens aperture using an optical diaphragm.
2. To act as a diaphragm, for example by vibrating.