1. Abandoned, deserted, or uninhabited; usually of a place.
- They were marooned on a desert island in the Pacific.
1. arid land with little or no vegetation
2. (usually plural) a person's deservingness of or entitlement to reward or punishment
1. leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch
- The mother deserted her children
2. desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army
- If soldiers deserted Hitler's army, they were shot
Similar word(s): defect
3. leave behind
- the students deserted the campus after the end of exam period
Sentences with desert as a verb:
- You can't just drive off and desert me here, in the middle of nowhere.
- Anyone found deserting will be shot.