1. A device placed on railway tracks causing a train to derail.
- The derail was placed deliberately so that the train would fall into the river.
1. cause to run off the tracks
- they had planned to derail the trains that carried atomic waste
2. run off or leave the rails
- the train derailed because a cow was standing on the tracks
Similar word(s): jump
Sentences with derail as a verb:
- The train was destroyed when it was derailed by the penny.
- The conversation derailed once James brought up politics.
- The protesting students derailed the professor's lecture.