1. (obsolete) division; separation, as of compound substances
2. (obsolete) A going away; departure.
1. move away from a place into another direction
- The train departs at noon
Similar word(s): go
2. be at variance with; be out of line with
4. go away or leave
Similar word(s): quit
5. remove oneself from an association with or participation in
Similar word(s): leave
6. wander from a direct or straight course
Sentences with depart as a verb:
- His latest statements seemed to depart from party policy somewhat.
- to depart from a title or defence in legal pleading