1. an appreciable consequence (especially a lessening)
- it made a dent in my bank account
Definition categories: phenomenon, consequence, effect, event, issue, outcome, result, upshot
2. a depression scratched or carved into a surface
Similar word(s): incision, scratch, slit
Definition categories: shape, depression, impression, imprint
3. an impression in a surface (as made by a blow)
Similar word(s): ding, gouge, nick
Definition categories: attribute, blemish, defect, mar
Sentences with dent as a noun:
- The crash produced a dent in the left side of the car.
- That purchase put a bit of a dent in my wallet.
1. make a depression into
- The bicycle dented my car
Similar word(s): indent
Definition categories: contact, bend, deform, flex, turn, twist
Sentences with dent as a verb:
- Copper is soft and dents easily.