1. the act of refusing to comply (as with a request)
- it resulted in a complete denial of his privileges
Definition categories: communication
2. the act of asserting that something alleged is not true
Similar word(s): disaffirmation
3. (psychiatry) a defense mechanism that denies painful thoughts
4. renunciation of your own interests in favor of the interests of others
Similar word(s): abnegation
5. a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him
Definition categories: act
Sentences with denial as a noun:
- The denial of "There might be X" is the null, "False, there is no X."
- Every time we asked for an interview we got a denial.
- The singer has issued a sweeping denial of all the rumors.
- We couldn't break through his denial about being alcoholic.
- He is in denial that he has a drinking problem.