1. make more intense, stronger, or more marked
- This event only deepened my convictions
2. become more intense
- His dislike for raw fish only deepened in Japan
Similar word(s): intensify
3. make deeper
- They deepened the lake so that bigger pleasure boats could use it
4. become deeper in tone
- Her voice deepened when she whispered the password
Similar word(s): change
Definition categories: change
Sentences with deepen as a verb:
- They deepened the well by 200 feet.
- The event deepened the prevailing gloom.
- News of her death deepened my sorrow.
- The tuner deepened the tone of the organ.
- The class deepened my understanding of the subject.
- The shared experiences deepened our relationship.
- The hypnotist then proceeded to deepen his trance.
- The water deepens as you go toward the middle of the channel.
- The crisis deepened in the following weeks.
- His voice deepened with age.
- His skill in deciphering the texts deepened with practice.
- The conversation deepened and they began to truly share.
- The new bed allowed my sleep to deepen.