1. a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal
2. the formal presentation of a stated proposition and the opposition to it (usually followed by a vote)
Similar word(s): disputation
Sentences with debate as a noun:
- After a four-hour debate, the committee voted to table the motion.
- The debate over the age of the universe is thousands of years old.
- There was a bit of a debate over who should pay for the damaged fence.
- There has been considerable debate concerning exactly how to format these articles.
1. argue with one another
- We debated the question of abortion
- John debated Mary
2. think about carefully; weigh
3. discuss the pros and cons of an issue
Similar word(s): deliberate
4. have an argument about something