1. dearly loved
2. with or in a close or intimate relationship
- my sisters and brothers are near and dear
3. sincere emotion
- one's dearest wish
4. having a high price
- much too dear for my pocketbook
Sentences with dear as an adjective:
- Such dear embrace tenderly comforts even in this dear sorrow.
- The dearer the giver, the dearer the trinket he brings!
- The dearer the jewel, the greater the love expressed.
- Dear Sir/Madam/Miss, please notice our offices will be closed during the following bank holidays:
- My dear friend, I feel better as soon as you come sit beside my sickbed!
- My dear boy, if your grades don't pick up I won't bounce you on but over my knee!
1. with affection
- she loved him dearly
2. at a great cost
- he paid dearly for the food
- this cost him dear
Similar word(s): dearly
1. a beloved person; used as terms of endearment
2. a sweet innocent mild-mannered person (especially a child)
Similar word(s): lamb
Sentences with dear as a noun:
- My cousin is such a dear, always drawing me pictures.
1. (obsolete) To endear.