1. a Protestant layman who assists the minister
Definition categories: person
2. a cleric ranking just below a priest in Christian churches; one of the Holy Orders
1. (Christianity, music) For a choir leader to lead a hymn by speaking one or two lines at a time, which are then sung by the choir.
2. (US, animal husbandry) To kill a calf shortly after birth.
3. (US, slang) To place fresh fruit at the top of a barrel or other container, with spoiled or imperfect fruit hidden beneath.
4. (US, slang) To make sly alterations to the boundaries of (land); to adulterate or doctor (an article to be sold), etc.