1. the metal or paper medium of exchange that is presently used
Definition categories: possession
2. general acceptance or use
- the currency of ideas
3. the property of belonging to the present time
- the currency of a slang term
Similar word(s): currentness
Sentences with currency as a noun:
- Wampum was used as a currency by Amerindians.
- The jargon’s currency.
- He […] takes greatness of kingdoms according to their bulk and currency, and not after intrinsic value. — Francis Bacon.The bare name of Englishman […] too often gave a transient currency to the worthless and ungrateful. — W. Irving.