1. a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition
2. a loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate)
- a cry of rage
Similar word(s): yell
3. a slogan used to rally support for a cause
- a cry to arms
Similar word(s): watchword
4. a fit of weeping
- had a good cry
5. the characteristic utterance of an animal
Sentences with cry as a noun:
- After we broke up, I retreated to my room for a good cry.
- I heard a cry from afar.
- a battle cry
- "Woof" is the cry of a dog, while "neigh" is the cry of a horse.
1. utter a sudden loud cry
2. shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain
Similar word(s): weep
Definition categories: body
3. utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy
4. proclaim or announce in public
- before we had newspapers, a town crier would cry the news
5. demand immediate action
- This situation is crying for attention
6. utter a characteristic sound
- The cat was crying
7. bring into a particular state by crying
Sentences with cry as a verb:
- That sad movie always makes me cry.
- to cry oneself to sleep
- to cry goods