1. the sound of something crunching
- he heard the crunch of footsteps on the gravel path
2. a critical situation that arises because of a shortage (as a shortage of time or money or resources)
- an end-of-the year crunch
- a financial crunch
3. the act of crushing
1. make a crushing noise
- his shoes were crunching on the gravel
2. press or grind with a crushing noise
3. chew noisily
- The children crunched the celery sticks
Similar word(s): munch
4. reduce to small pieces or particles by pounding or abrading
Sentences with crunch as a verb:
- When I came home, Susan was watching TV with her feet up on the couch, crunching a piece of celery.
- Beetles crunched beneath the men's heavy boots as they worked.
- That metadata makes it much easier for the search engine to crunch the data for queries.