1. entrusted with private information and the confidence of another
- a confidential secretary
Similar word(s): private
2. (of information) given in confidence or in secret
- this arrangement must be kept confidential
3. denoting confidence or intimacy
- a confidential approach
- in confidential tone of voice
Similar word(s): close
4. the level of official classification for documents next above restricted and below secret; available only to persons authorized to see documents so classified
Similar word(s): classified
Sentences with confidential as an adjective:
- The newspaper claims a leaked confidential report by the government admits to problems with corrupt MPs.
- Sitting in front of the fire, they became quite confidential, and began to gossip.