1. a thin layer covering something
- a second coat of paint
Similar word(s): coat
Definition categories: man–made, covering
2. a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance)
- he applied a coat of a clear finish
3. a heavy fabric suitable for coats
4. the work of applying something
- the surface was ready for a coating of paint
Definition categories: act
Sentences with coating as a noun:
- They painted on a coating to protect it from the weather.
1. present participle of coat
- We spent hours coating the truffles with cocoa powder so they wouldn't be sticky.