1. a demanding or stimulating situation
- they reacted irrationally to the challenge of Russian power
2. a call to engage in a contest or fight
Definition categories: communication
3. questioning a statement and demanding an explanation
- his challenge of the assumption that Japan is still our enemy
4. a formal objection to the selection of a particular person as a juror
5. a demand by a sentry for a password or identification
Sentences with challenge as a noun:
- a challenge to the king's authority
- Consanguinity in direct line is a challenge for a judge when he or she is sitting cases.
- We're still waiting to hear how the court rules on our challenge of the arbitrator based on conflict of interest.
1. take exception to
- She challenged his claims
2. issue a challenge to
- Fischer challenged Spassky to a match
3. ask for identification
- The illegal immigrant was challenged by the border guard
4. raise a formal objection in a court of law
Sentences with challenge as a verb:
- We challenged the boys next door to a game of football.
- to challenge the accuracy of a statement or of a quotation
- The sentinel challenged us with "Who goes there?"