1. a plaything consisting of a Y-shaped stick with elastic between the arms; used to propel small stones
2. a device that launches aircraft from a warship
Similar word(s): launcher
Definition categories: man–made, device
3. an engine that provided medieval artillery used during sieges; a heavy war engine for hurling large stones and other missiles
Definition categories: man–made, engine
1. shoot forth or launch, as if from a catapult
- the enemy catapulted rocks towards the fort
2. hurl as if with a sling
Similar word(s): sling
Sentences with catapult as a verb:
- The candidate selection for running mate has catapulted her to the national scene.
- She catapulted to the national scene following her selection by the candidate.