1. exercising caution or showing care or attention
- they were careful when crossing the busy street
- be careful to keep her shoes clean
- did very careful research
Similar word(s): certain, sure, close, conscientious, painstaking, scrupulous, detailed, elaborate, elaborated, minute, narrow, overcareful, particular, protective, studious, thorough, cautious, diligent, prudent
2. cautiously attentive
- careful of her feelings
3. unhurried and with care and dignity
4. full of cares or anxiety
- Thou art careful and troubled about many things
Similar word(s): troubled
5. mindful of the future in spending money
- careful with money
Sentences with careful as an adjective:
- He was a slow and careful driver.
- They made a careful search of the crime scene.