- a capital fellow
- a capital idea
Similar word(s): superior
2. of primary importance
- our capital concern was to avoid defeat
Similar word(s): primary
- capital A
- One begins a sentence with a capital letter.
Sentences with capital as an adjective:
- London and Paris are capital cities.
- That is a capital idea!
1. assets available for use in the production of further assets
2. wealth in the form of money or property owned by a person or business and human resources of economic value
3. a seat of government
4. one of the large alphabetic characters used as the first letter in writing or printing proper names and sometimes for emphasis
- printers once kept the type for capitals and for small letters in separate cases; capitals were kept in the upper half of the type case and so became known as upper-case letters
5. a center that is associated more than any other with some activity or product
- the crime capital of Italy
- the drug capital of Columbia
6. the federal government of the United States
Similar word(s): washington
Definition categories: group
7. a book written by Karl Marx (1867) describing his economic theories
Definition categories: communication
8. the upper part of a column that supports the entablature
Definition categories: man–made, top
Sentences with capital as a noun:
- He does not have enough capital to start a business.
- Washington D.C. is the capital of the United States of America.
- The Welsh government claims that Cardiff is Europe’s youngest capital.
- Interpreters need a good amount of cultural capital in order to function efficiently in the profession.