1. Filling the allotted space.
- There will be a capacity crowd at Busch stadium for the sixth game.
1. capability to perform or produce
- among his gifts is his capacity for true altruism
- limited runway capacity
- a great capacity for growth
2. the susceptibility of something to a particular treatment
- the capability of a metal to be fused
Similar word(s): capability
3. the amount that can be contained
- the gas tank has a capacity of 12 gallons
Similar word(s): content
4. the maximum production possible
- the plant is working at 80 per cent capacity
5. a specified function
- he was employed in the capacity of director
- he should be retained in his present capacity at a higher salary
6. (computer science) the amount of information (in bytes) that can be stored on a disk drive
- the capacity of a hard disk drive is usually expressed in megabytes
Definition categories: quantity
7. an electrical phenomenon whereby an electric charge is stored
Similar word(s): capacitance
Definition categories: phenomenon
8. the power to learn or retain knowledge; in law, the ability to understand the facts and significance of your behavior
9. tolerance for alcohol
- he had drunk beyond his capacity
Sentences with capacity as a noun:
- It was hauling a capacity load.
- The orchestra played to a capacity crowd.
- Its capacity rating was 150 tons per hour, but its actual maximum capacity was 200 tons per hour.