1. a solid projectile that in former times was fired from a cannon
Sentences with cannonball as a noun:
- The cannonball could be called the S.U.V. of the pool — oversized, brash, hormonally hardwired. I would call it a water-entry stunt, not a dive. The New Yorker, 30 August 2004, p.40, quoting "Coach O'Brien"
- Meetings of the model train club always begin with the song "Wabash Cannonball".
1. To jump/dive into water doing a cannonball landing.
- He cannonballed into the pool, drenching us all.