1. actively or fully engaged or occupied
- busy with her work
- a busy man
- too busy to eat lunch
2. overcrowded or cluttered with detail
- a busy painting
3. intrusive in a meddling or offensive manner
- busy about other people's business
4. crowded with or characterized by much activity
- a very busy week
- a busy life
- a busy street
Similar word(s): active
5. (of facilities such as telephones or lavatories) unavailable for use by anyone else or indicating unavailability; (`engaged' is a British term for a busy telephone line)
- her line is busy
- kept getting a busy signal
Sentences with busy as an adjective:
- The director cannot see you now, he's busy.
- Her telephone has been busy all day.
- She is too busy to have time for riddles.
- Flowers, stripes, and checks in the same fabric make for a busy pattern.
1. (slang, Britain, Liverpudlian, derogatory) A police officer.